Judy S. LaKind, Ph.D.
Judy S. LaKind, President of LaKind Associates, LLC, and Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Maryland School of Medicine is a health and environmental scientist with nearly 30 years of experience in exposure assessment, strategic risk management, assessment of human health risks, biomonitoring, scientific and technical analysis for regulatory and litigation support, and state-of-the-science and systematic reviews. Dr. LaKind’s current interests include children’s exposures to environmental chemicals, use of NHANES data in environmental epidemiology research, the implications of uncertainty in the risk assessment process, weighing potential risks and benefits related to chemical use, environmental chemicals in human milk, time-dependence and distributional analysis of exposure, systematic review, and quality of data for use in weight of evidence assessment. She has published more than 90 peer-reviewed research articles on these and other topics over her research career.
Dr. LaKind has been active in service to the profession, having served:
- As a co-chair of the 2015 ISES Annual Meeting in Henderson, Nevada
- As an ISES mentor
- As a member of Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Cancer Cluster Advisory Committee
- On the World Health Organization Survey Coordinating Committee for the WHO Global Survey of Human Milk for Persistent Organic Pollutants
- On Maryland’s Children’s Environmental Health and Protection Advisory Council, Lead Poisoning Prevention Commission, and Pesticide Reporting and Information Workgroup
- As a member of the Institute of Medicine Committee on Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans and Agent Orange Exposure
- As a member of the US Environmental Protection Agency Science Advisory Board Panel on Perchlorate - Approaches for Deriving Maximum Contaminant Level Goals for Drinking Water
- On the editorial boards of the Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Environment International and the Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology.
Dr. LaKind received a Ph.D. in geography and environmental engineering from The Johns Hopkins University Rutgers, an MS in geology from the University of Wisconsin, Madison and a BA in geology from The Johns Hopkins University.